Friday, November 26, 2010

Unfinished projects and other annoyances


Today was a frustrating day. For the first time in a long time, I was so frustrated that I had a hankering to go out and buy some more yarn. Buying cheap, on-sale, acrylic yarn is my instant, go-to pick-me-up.

And I haven't made any major yarn purchases lately because I'm holding out to buy yarn from Jennifer at Jay Springs Lamb Company. But that yarn is going to be special and it is imperative that I buy her yarn to complete a certain Christmas gift.

Normally, I would not buy hand-spun yarn to make a gift. I enjoy acrylic yarns. I'm on a tight budget and when I do buy expensive hand-spun yarn I'm either too afraid to use it, or I curse myself the entire project because of the amount of money I spent.

So today I took the bus to the craft supply store and gave myself a half an hour to find yarn to start yet another gift. I know, I know, it's already Nov. 26th and I should have started my gifts a few weeks ago. But my arms are still not up to par.

Sadly though, I could not find any suitable acrylic yarn in the time I had given myself (the bus was coming). It all just seemed so mediocre except for a new line of Vanna's choice that actually has sparkle.

But I'm still debating: are sparkle mittens too much?

So instead I came back to my parents' house and went through my magic bag of unfinished projects that I left here. (The hat that I started is at my house.)

I'm glad that I took a closer look at these mittens because I'm going to need to alter the pattern before I start making some gifts. I used a really old Beehive pattern that I got from my gramma. The pattern is for child-size mittens and I just increased the size. Now I will need to do some more alterations so that my next pair is perfect.

If they are going to sparkle, they are going to stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment